Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Big Pots!

I know, I know, all of you are totally surprised that I have written a blog post.  But it's true - and here it is!
Even though I've been quiet in Blogland, I actually have been reading and staying up-to-date with everyone's projects.  And I've been busy in the studio, too.  Things are going quite well, actually, but I'm not quite ready to show pictures of the sculpture I've most recently made.  Once I finished that piece, I got started on a side project.  One inspired by the Alex Matisse exhibit of large vessels outside of the Bascom.  I have always been excited by the idea of making big pots! Perhaps it's the challenge or just the presence large pots have, but I've decided to go for it.  I've dabbled in it before, with mediocre results, but now I'm ready to tackle it again.
I'm making two big pots, to hopefully go in my front yard.  The one in back has gotten a bit bigger; right now she's at 25" tall.  I'm thinking that the fired, finished height will be about 34". 

The photo above shows that I use a hydraulic lifting table to build my pots on.  These are great, and save my back from climbing ladders, then having to bend over to work.  (It's hard being 5'1"!)  I can just pump up the table to bring the pot to a good working height, then lower it as needed.  It's a HUGE help in the studio for taller stuff.  Not to mention that it keeps me from lifting these pots everytime I need move it around!  I've lost track as to how heavy they are, but believe me, they aren't light.

So anyway, that's enough for now.  We shall talk soon~

Kelly

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I LOVE them Kelly!!! You'll have to give me some pointers one of these days...I'd love to learn how to make big pots! :) I didn't know you were 5'1! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie!
      I'll give you some pointers, sure, but only if these fire up well! :) I'm using a different clay than what I've tried in the past, so we will see how these pots finish up. They won't be ready for a while - I'm going to let them dry for a loooong time before firing!
      Have a great night!
      Kelly

      Delete
  2. Kelly - these look beautiful! It is always so exciting to take on a challenge that you have wanted to do for some time.

    ReplyDelete