Friday, July 24, 2009

"Here's Mud in Your Eye!"

Well, last night was a new experience for me. I have discovered a new meaning to the phrase "Here's mud in your eye!". I was in the studio after the baby had gone to bed, and I was mixing up a small batch of slip (liquid clay) to paint on a planter I have been making. I put it in the blender and was adding small amounts of water as I blended because the clay was too thick. It wasn't blending at all due to the thickness, so I took the top off to work a little easier. I am standing there, pouring in water, stirring, trying to get it to blend, when POP! An air bubble surfaces explosively, and comes shooting out of the blender and directly into my face! I took the hit mostly in my right eye (well, it was everywhere, in my hair, all over my face, but none of that mattered) and boy, I couldn't see anything! It was like I had been in a pie throwing contest! Thick, goopy clay all in my eye and forcefully put there by the blender! Ow! Ow! Luckily I was standing right by the sink, and so I bent over and proceeded to rinse out my eye. I felt like a mad scientist whose experiment had exploded in his face! I took out my contacts and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed! Even after all that rinsing, I was still finding white clay coming out of my eye, as my eye teared it out. Well, now don't I feel like a putz for that happening?! You bet! And you can also bet that the lid will always be on the blender from now on!! There's nothing like having an eye full of mud!! Curious about the phrase, I did some research last night around 3:00 am when I couldn't sleep. I found that it is a toast friends make when drinking. The phrase seems to have originated from a story in the bible about Jesus healing a blind man with mud in his eyes, and so the drinking toast means something like "let this drink heal us and all our problems". I didn't know that, did you?? Tip of the day: Always use the blender lid. It's there for a reason! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment