Monday, July 5, 2010

Foundry Tour

Wow, oh wow! These are some photos of the foundry tour that we had last week. It was so interesting to meet the guys and see the HUGE equipment that makes the pieces. You see big vats of melted wax and huge kilns that melt metal, and then large, rotating bins of a ceramic mix that is sprayed onto the pieces. Both men and women work in the foundry, not just all big, burly men. The process is very much labor intensive, and takes about 6-8 weeks from start to finish. I will be going back to the foundry for the patina process after I return from San Francisco. I'll drive back to Florida and stay for a couple of days, with most of my time working at the foundry with the patina guys. After that, it shouldn't be too long before the piece is ready to bring home. This foundry was awesome in that they can do the shipping if I need to send it somewhere to a buyer, so they can handle that for me.

I'm really excited and I can't wait to post more photos of this process for you! Not many people get to see the inside of a foundry and it was seriously exciting!

5 comments:

  1. Kelly , thats wonderful. I am so happy for you! Looking forward for the result! Enjoy it!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! Be sure to keep posting as the process continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kelly! The foundry is so neat. I am looking forward to seeing your finished work. I know it is going to be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I visited one here in NZ a while back. So fascinating! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super exciting Kelly! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete