Friday, February 17, 2012

House and Home exhibit at Mudfire

One night I got some very exciting, unexpected news.  There was an invitational exhibit that I seriously wanted to be a part of, and so at the last minute I sent in my materials.  The notification deadline passed, without any kind of word from the exhibit, so I immediately thought, OH WELL, I guess I'm not invited to this exhibit.  Fast forward two weeks.  Then one night, hanging out with the baby watching tv, I happen to check email and there it is!  An invitation to participate in this exhibit!  OH yes!!!  It was made even more exciting by the fact that I didn't expect it.  I swear, my heart actually started beating faster and my chest tightened in excitement.  I danced over to to my hubby, and I could barely hold still and wait for the right moment in the conversation to tell him!

So the time has come.  I've shipped off my pieces, filled out all the paperwork, and the show officially opens on March 2.  Work will be available for preview online on Feb. 27.  Mudfire is a fantastic clay center.  I went there for a workshop three years ago, and I was totally floored by what they had created.  Erik and Luba, the owners, are young, energetic, and totally passionate about this place.  They took an old space in an industrial park, and turned it into a gallery/pottery center/super cool living space for themselves.  This place is about the energy, the vibe, the community, the SHARING of knowledge, and the support they give to clay folks.  Every week, they do cookouts at the center, and anybody is welcome.  The pottery students, the workshop attendants, whoever.  Folks bring food for the grill, and then everyone sits down and shares a community meal, and it is fantastic.  I so LOVE the positive energy that is created by everyone sharing interests and creating friendships.  So, can you tell that I really, really LOVE this place?

Here's the information to this awesome exhibit.  I'm honored to be one of their artists and to be included in such a show! Click on the photo or exhibit title to go to their website:




House and Home

March 2, 2012

MudFire welcomes an outstanding group of sculptors and potters for a domecile-themed exhibit. The show features 16 artists invited from across the country to express their concepts of house, home, shelter, nesting or dwelling places and represents a broad interpretation of the theme, not limited to human concerns but also the hidey-holes and getaways of all manner of creatures. We look forward to sharing a cup of tea with you at the opening reception on March 2 from 5-9pm.
Work will post in preview mode by February 27, and will be available for purchase starting 12:00 pm on Friday, March 2, 2012.

I'm so excited!  I will be able to attend the exhibit after my ACC show, and I look forward to seeing all the works!

~Kelly

6 comments:

  1. Kelly, I could have written this very same post! I was also very honored to be asked to be in this show, so excited to be included with such an amazing group of artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tracey! It's really going to be a great show, and I'm so happy to have connected with you! I can't wait for Mudfire to put up photos...
      Have a great Friday :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Kelly, I love this place, too, just hearing about it and I'm so completely thrilled for you!!
    I can feel your excitment and you'll have a friend there with you! Congrats to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan,
      Yep, I'm totally excited about the exhibit :) thanks for being happy for me - I am starting to feel like things are coming together finally!
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Congrats, can't wait to see the show and your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I only sent in two pieces (that's all I had made), but I'm still so pumped for the exhibit. I hope that I can be there for the opening, but I'm not sure yet...
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Kelly

      Delete