Thursday, February 11, 2010

An Ah-Ha Moment!

I realized something today. Charlie and I were discussing triathletes and their rigorous training schedules. Just last year, he did his first triathlon and has been reading magazines and articles on training in one of his magazines. Triathlete Magazine These guys are totally committed to their training. To the point of getting up at 3:30 am to get in a workout before a busy day begins. What?!? These people are crazy, in my mind. They all think that the body doesn't need anymore than say...6 hours of sleep. I say, that they are all Type A personalities, and that a body needs 7 or 8 hours of sleep. Whatever the case, I know that I am not a Type A person. I am not sure what kind of personality type I am, but it definitely isn't a Type A. But what I realized is that, if you want something, really want something, you make it happen. No matter what. It means giving up those other 2 hours of sleep, giving up quiet evenings with the family, giving up those gourmet dinners that take more than 30 minutes to cook. It means leaving dirty dishes in the sink sometimes, or laundry that goes another day unwashed in the laundry bin. What I finally understood, is that IT IS A CHOICE. I, too, could have 25 hours a week in the studio, sure, I just have to make it happen. I would have to choose to give up certain things to make another thing happen. There are only so many hours in the day (as any new parent surely understands), and you have to use those hours for the things you feel are important. Those dedicated triathletes are choosing to do the crazy 3:30 am workouts, because getting it in is more important than sleep. By doing it super early (middle of the night, if you ask me), they don't miss out on any of the family events, but yet they still get in their workouts. I admire that. So, I ask myself - What is it that I find important? First and foremost - family. I choose to put family first. I am a mother and a wife and I love cultivating that. Then, after that, comes in no real order: fitness, cooking healthy and delicious meals, clay, house maintenance, sleep. As you may or may not know, I've been dealing with some real insomnia problems lately. It's stress, I know, but it is a real issue in my day-to-day life. I like sleep. It makes me feel good and keeps me happy. Therefore, sleep = important. Cooking = important. One must eat and life is too short to eat crappy food all the time. And I like the idea of teaching the kiddo how to cook and eat properly. It's a good lifetime skill that most people don't learn these days. Clay = important. Keeps Mom sane. I can't articulate all the emotions that have built over 2 1/2 years and clay is the only way to get it out. House maintenance = not fun, but pretty important. It must be done or else chaos ensues. Fitness = important. Good stress reliever, keeps Mom sane, but takes up valuable time when Mom could be doing other things. (See previous sentences.) So, what I learned today is that I could be more dedicated in the studio, I could get 25 hours of time in the studio, but it means giving up some things that I feel are important. Call me dense, I know, I have to learn these things the hard way. For now, I think I will stick with things the way they are, and then when maybe the kid is in school, I will get more clay time. Well, we will see!!

2 comments:

  1. Well said. We make our choices. And that balance shifts as our needs shift. I spend less time in the studio lately so I can get more sleep because sleep has become more important. I'm not happy about that, but I know it is the right thing and keeps me in the studio.

    Sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, girlfriend. Get some rest. Take care of yourself so that tomorrow we can work hard in the studio, at least for a little while!

    ReplyDelete