Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Business Image!


Today is a very exciting day and I am very proud to announce my new business branding today!  Kelly Thiel Pottery & Sculpture will officially now be Kelly Thiel Studio.  My artwork has expanded from the clay sculpture to include bronze, and now mixed media paintings as well.  I've been feeling a change in my goals and dreams, and it was super strong two years ago when I was on the cusp of starting all these changes.  My previous body of work with the functional pottery was no longer satisfying to me, and I knew a big change had already started in my heart.   This was just after my life had been completely turned upside down, by the death of my mother and the birth of my first child.  I had hardly made any artwork for nearly a year, and so when I came back to the studio,  I knew my work was about to change.  Big time.  Teetering on the brink of something wild.  It was an indescribable feeling.


After quite a lot of journaling and sketching, I sat down at my work table with my clay, opened my heart, and what flew out was birds.  This style of working, this hand-forming of the clay, was so freeing and I began to see so many possibilities!!  I loved feeling the clay squish between my fingers, and these new, imperfect and textured surfaces just felt so right.  I knew that the days of tight, controlled, perfect functional pottery was gone. 


So I've been working like this ever since.  A new style of working, with a new set of goals & dreams. Those goals included creating a body of work in bronze, which I have already started on, as most of you know.  And now those goals include mixed media paintings and art journaling, and who knows where I may end up!  I've taken that welding class and loved it, and who knows - one day I make hit the junkyard and start making metal art!  The point here, is that I am growing and changing as an artist, and I have decided that Kelly Thiel Studio will encompass all of these changes.  I am no longer the same person I was three years ago, and my artwork certainly isn't the same.  All these changes meant I needed a new name, and a new logo to reflect all of this expansion.


Enter Laura.  The universe sent her to me early last year, and we have been friends ever since.  She has personally witnessed many of these changes in me and in some of my artwork.  So when it came time to make these changes in my business, I knew she would be the perfect one to help me.  And she has worked her tail off, helping me create my new image.  For that, I am extremely grateful!


So, on that note, I am trying something new (new to me, that is).  I am holding a sweepstakes giveaway over on Facebook.  I will be giving away one of my little birdies and one small 6"x6" mixed media painting.  There are a few steps you must follow to enter the contest, but it is easy and won't take but a minute.  There will be two winners - one for the birdie and one for the painting - and the winners will be picked by the computer and it will be completely random.  Please head on over to my page on Facebook (look on the left hand side for Sweepstakes) and enter to win!!  I would also be grateful if you'd spread the word and let your friends know about the giveaway..  Thank you!!
Whispered in Her Ear, mixed media, 6x6


I am very excited about all of this.  It's been two years in the making and it's finally here.  Next week, I head off to Atlanta for my ACC show, and I always look forward to the show - who knows what opportunities may pop up while I'm there?!?

So you'll be seeing some changes, and I am thrilled about them all!
I hope all of you are well!!
~Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment