Monday, March 7, 2011

Studio pics

Hello There!!

I have been super busy this week, as is normal for the week before a show, trying to get everything finished up.  Glazing, firing, glazing some more, with one last firing.  It's an easy cycle, a rhythm that gets going in the studio.  The only problem with this rhythm on a crazy week like this, is that it takes so long for the kiln to fire and cool.  It normally takes up to 12 hours to fire and then another 24 hours to cool.  I have to plan enough time so that I can get all of my firings in.  This is my kiln and I absolutely love it.  I bought a bigger kiln when we moved into this house 2.5 years ago, when I finally got my own studio.  For 9 years, I had to haul my pots and sculptures over to my mom's house, where we shared a kiln.  It was rather scary, because the pots are so very delicate before they've been fired.  So needless to say, I was totally excited I got my studio!  Here's a pic of me when the kiln had just arrived, and the forklift had brought it down to the house!

One reason I love my kiln is that is has a tall vertical dimension, so I can make some pretty tall pieces and they will still fit in the kiln.  The other reason I love it, is that the door opens on the front, like a regular door, instead of me having to bend over and load heavy pieces into a top-loading kiln.  That was a real problem three years ago when I was pregnant with my first daughter and I couldn't reach the bottom of the kiln!  I had to step on concrete blocks to get a bit higher to even load the kiln!

Here are my central work tables.  I have three stations set up, and their purposes vary, depending on what cycle my work is in.  The purpose of the stations changes from building wet clay sculptures to glazing to assembling to mixed media painting and journaling.  But I wanted you to see the madness of the work table just before a big show!  It's not always this crazy, but I usually have some manner of supplies, pictures, and sketches lying around. 

So my studio is in total chaos this week, but I'm almost done with the prep work for the show.  Next up is the assembling and packing and then loading the car!  I'm sure I'll be posting from the show, so stay tuned!  

Oh - and today is the last day of my giveaway on Facebook.  I can't wait to see who the winners are!!


No comments:

Post a Comment